Friday, March 14, 2008

Someone Owes Me Money (Again)!

You may recall a few months ago when "reporter" Matthew Brown with the Associated Press ripped off my story about the escalating warfare between animals and humans without paying me so much as a nickel. I have still not received any credit, compensation, or even a thank-you note from Mr. Brown.

I was so distraught and angry, I could barely blog. I'm still angry. Why take the time and trouble to post things online if they're just going to be pilfered by "journalists" desperate to sell newspapers to people not smart enough to realize they can get all the "news" they need on the Internet for free? Well recently I decided some stories just needed to be told and ended my boycott. To no one's surprise, it's happening again.

This time it's some coward at "McClatchy Newspapers", purportedly out of Miami, burgling my story ideas and passing them off as his or her own. You'll recall the in-depth analysis of the increasing phenomenon of dead people's Myspace pages I posted last week. Well imagine my surprise (ok, not surprise) when I saw this story hit the news wires on Tuesday. You're welcome, McClatchy newspapers. No need to thank me publicly, link to my post or offer me a cut of your subscription revenue. That copyright information at the bottom of my page is just an inside joke I have with my friends . . .

But my main beef isn't even that the anonymous McClatchy Newspapers "reporter" is a plagiarist. It's that he or she seems to all-but endorse Myspace memorials to dead people with slight mention of the morbid and unhealthy fascinations this sick practice perpetuates. Worse, McClatchy Newspapers fails to even address the issue I have with the practice- that these "Myspace memorials" are costing online predators increasing amounts of valuable time and effort that could be better spent stalking and harassing people who are actually alive. If you are going to steal a meal, at least take the meat.

So I hope you're happy "McClatchy Newspapers", if that is your real name. Next time you need a tip, you know where to look.

No comments: